My Tech Toolbox
I’m always curious to know what products other developers in the WordPress community are using to power their sites. Below are the plugins and services I use and have used for my site and use on other WordPress sites I develop.
I take part in affiliate programs for some of the things listed below and confidently recommend these products for your use, too. If you’d like to know more, I’ve written a quick post explaining how affiliate programs work and why I use them.
So, if you like my content and learn about a cool product here, click a link and help a brother out. All of that said, – I work hard not to be spammy when I use affiliate links.
Domain & Email Hosting
- Namecheap – Domain registrar with excellent customer service (seriously).
- Google Apps for Work – Email hosting for small business. Also integrates with other Google tools, which is nice.
- WP Engine – Managed WordPress hosting great for high traffic sites. Lots of great features for developers.
- SiteGround – Inexpensive shared hosting with a traditional cPanel.
- Host Gator – A leading provider of web hosting, VPS and dedicated servers.
- Blue Host
- Genesis Framework – Quite a few of my projects are built using the Genesis Framework from StudioPress as my base theme.
- Utility Pro – This is a super-flexible child theme for Genesis. It meets WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards and offers a lot of advanced developer features.
- Elegant Themes
- ManageWP – A single dashboard for managing all of your WordPress sites (backups, updates, etc). Perfect if you manage multiple WordPress sites for yourself or offer maintenance plans for your clients.
- Desktop Server – No more WAMP/MAMP/XAMP… Spin up local WordPress installs in less than a minute.
- MigrateDB Pro – Migrate a WordPress database from one install to another. Perfect syncing development to production sites. Transfers media files, too.
Site Builder Tools
- Design Palette Pro – Made for Genesis. Customize your theme styles with NO CODE.
- Genesis Extender – Use with any Genesis theme to add custom CSS, custom functions, or custom hooks via the WordPress admin (no direct theme edits)!
- Conductor Plugin – Theme-independent plugin that let’s you build and adjust layouts without any code. Works with Genesis themes, too.
- Beaver Builder – Theme-independent page builder tool great for non-technical folks and developers alike.
Specific Feature Plugins
- Gravity Forms – Contact form plugin. Tons of developer add-ons available for integrations with third-party tools (i.e. MailChimp, PayPal, etc.).
- Toolset – Create custom post types, taxonomies, and metaboxes through a guided interface. There’s a bit of a learning curve, but once you’ve got it, you’re set!
Training & Education
- WP101 – Video series you can use to teach clients how to use WordPress. Available as a plugin or a stand-alone resource.
- Lynda – Learn about a range of topics from business, to creative, to technical.